Saturday, May 28, 2011

Thanks for the Prayers!

On May 19th I entered a short blog about whether or not Jesus was coming back on May 21st. To my amazement, the number of views on the blog went crazy. It wasn’t my intention to draw a lot of people to my post, but I did want people who did not know Jesus to see a clear biblical view and turn to Jesus, not just because He might come back any day, but also because none of knows how long we have to live.


I wrote that the day I was scheduled for open heart surgery to repair my mitral valve. At the time, I was thinking that if Jesus did come back on May 21st, then I sure wasted a day in the hospital, but then again, I’m doing what God wants me to do as I would still have to take good care of my body and that meant having the surgery sooner than later.

The valve repair was successful but I guess I had some complications that kept me under longer than expected. I didn’t wake up until Saturday. I remember looking at a white board on the wall with the date, nurses’ names, doctor’s name, and some other things. I had no idea whether it was morning or evening and I had this horrible tube stuck down my throat. My first thought was, Jesus, if you are coming today, make it sooner than later. I was in and out of it for a while. They finally pulled the tubes and my gag reflex went back to normal. I was pretty sure that Jesus wasn’t coming back on the 21st, unless it was time zone far to the west of us.

As the week progressed, my prayers were pretty weak. Jesus, help them find a vein for that IV. I don’t know how many more times I can be stuck without going crazy. Jesus, how can people who are going through persecution handle the pain and the agony if I bellyache about these pokes? At that time, it became clear to me that when we can’t pray for ourselves or others, there are still people who are praying.

Even though I need a valve repair, I was quite physically fit and strong. Everything should have gone well. I thought I had done quite well; I just laid there and tried to do what I was supposed to do, get up walk a little, eat, and drink. It wasn’t until I got home and read all the e-mail updates on my status that I realized how bad off I had been for the first 24+ hours. I know it is all in God’s hands, but reading the e-mails helped me realize how much God did and that nothing I did really mattered.

I am very fortunate to have many people praying for me: our small home Bible fellowship, our church’s prayer chain, many other friends and relatives as well as a many Christians in Pakistan whom I had visited at the end of March. It brings home the fact that God uses prayer to help us. I’ve had peace throughout the whole process and even learned a couple of things. Thanks for all your prayers!

I still have a few weeks to go before things return to normal but I’ll try to get some more Bible studies posted.

Blessings in Jesus,

Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment