March 24: Luke 6:20-36; Only Three “Ifs”



             What is harder than reading the Bible? Doing what it says! In today’s passage it starts with a shortened version of the Beatitudes found in Matthew 5. It’s pretty easy to read these first few verses and confidently think that I’m doing pretty good. I immediately relate to what Jesus said in Matthew because it is directed to spiritual poverty, hunger, and mourning. But a closer examination of Luke’s version reveals it can’t be the same sermon. Jesus follows up these beatitudes with woes that condemn not those who are looking at this spiritually, but physically. Suddenly I’m face to face with the fact that I’m rich materially and I’m far from the edge of starvation. He is setting the tone for more conviction.
            That conviction comes when Jesus starts talking about loving enemies. I don’t have enemies, so I guess it doesn’t apply to me. No one that I know actively hates me and I do pray for some with whom I have unresolved conflicts. No one is striking me on the cheek or trying to rob me. Though all of these things could change in an instant. That’s why I need to be ready to obey what Jesus said and make up my mind to respond in the way he wants. There are no “ifs” in this part of the passage. This is the way Jesus responded and this is the way we are supposed to respond. Whew, I guess I rationalized my way out of having to change in any way.
            But he gets real personal when he tells me to give to those who beg from me. Here is where I want to add some “ifs.” If the guy isn’t smoking (then I know he doesn’t really need money from me), then I might give him something. I could add a bunch more ifs to this one just to make sure he doesn’t take advantage of me. It’s getting harder to be like Jesus now.
            Now come the three “ifs” (Luke 6:32-34). Unfortunately, these conditions aren’t loopholes for me to respond to people in the way I want. Rather, they are showing me how much more I’m like a sinner than I am like Jesus. If I only love those who love me, then that is as far away from Jesus’ love as anyone can get. Because he died for me while I was still his enemy (Rom 5:6-11). If I only do good to those who can reciprocate, then that doesn’t show that I’m anything different that any other sinner. If I lend, well, I lend in ways, expecting to get interest and my investment returned. So I can’t proudly say that I lend without expectation of return. I need to adjust my attitude on that as well.
            Jesus ended this convicting passage by tell me I need to be merciful just as God the Father is merciful. That’s just another one of those verses I like to breeze past because no one can be as merciful as God. Then why did Jesus tell me to be as merciful as the Father? There are no “ifs” here either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lonely, Troubled, or Afflicted?

  What to do when you are lonely, troubled, or afflicted.  This sounds like David in Psalm 25. Listen to what he says in verses 16 through...