Jesus’ Crucifixion Prophesied


 
Psalm 22 has prophecies about Jesus’ crucifixion. David wrote this Psalm about 1000 years before Jesus was crucified.


On the Cross, Jesus quoted Psalm 22, verse 1 when he cried out, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”


Then in verses 14 through 18 describe what actually happened to Jesus during his crucifixion. Verse 14 says, “I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint; my heart is like wax; it is melted within my breast.”


This describes what happened to his shoulder joints as he hung on the cross. His heart would pound loudly as it tried to keep what little blood he had left circulating. It would feel like it was giving up and melting.


Verse 15 says, “my strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to my jaws; you lay me in the dust of death.”


A potsherd is a broken piece of an earthenware jar. Abandoned and left alone. It has no strength to do what it was designed to do, to hold water. That’s how it would feel to hang on the cross.


Thirst would dry his mouth and it his tongue would stick to his jaws. He would feel just like he was ready to die.


Verse 16 says, “For dogs encompass me; a company of evildoers encircles me; they have pierced my hands and feet.”

Indeed, the accusers are described in Matthew 27 as taunting Jesus as he hung on the cross. The description of having his hands and feet pierced was unknown in the time of David but was fulfilled by Jesus’ crucifixion.


Verse 17 says, “I can count all my bones—they stare and gloat over me; 18 they divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots.”


The brutal flogging that Jesus took before his crucifixion would have stripped the flesh from his back and exposed his bones so that they could be counted.


Then, unknown to David, he states exactly what the Roman soldiers did. They cast lots for Jesus’ garments.


The ability to predict this and have it fulfilled after 1000 years is beyond chance. It is a certainty. It is sufficient for anyone to understand that the Bible is true.


But that’s not the end of the story because Jesus died on a Friday and was raised to life on Sunday. The Bible continues to tell us that Jesus’ crucifixion was to pay for our sins, and we can have eternal life when we believe in Jesus for our salvation.


If you want to know more about this, 
watch my video on YouTube, "The Gospel."

May God Bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love the Lord!

Do you love the Lord?   In Psalm 31 verses 23 and 24 David tells us this after he has asked the Lord to rescue him. Love the Lord, all y...