January 3: Psalm 3 – No worries, God is a shield around me.




Many years ago, I remember reading this Psalm and thinking about the Lord being a shield around (Ps 3:3 NIV) me. At that time, I envisioned something like a large Plexiglas cylinder that completely encircled me. Nothing could get through it. I didn’t think about anything coming over the top or under it from the ground – I wasn’t thinking three dimensional, only two. My imagination didn’t even include the spiritual realm. I’m pretty sure a Plexiglas shield isn’t going to stop demons.
            However, since God is the shield and he is greater than anything I can imagine, his protection includes not only three dimensions but also the spiritual dimension. We also have the shield of faith and that stops all the flaming arrows of the evil one (Eph 6:16). That shield is a gift that he gives us and it is very important.
            Faith lets me know that God is in control of all things. Faith lets me know I don’t have anything to worry about. Faith assures me that God is good and that he doesn’t plan evil for his people, those he has chosen from before the creation of time and he predestined to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ (Eph 1:4-5). Through faith, I am shielded by God’s power (1 Peter 1:5).
            I fully recognize that though he is a shield around me, it doesn’t mean that bad things won’t happen to me. It doesn’t mean I will be disease free, rich, and never suffer because of other people’s sins or even my own. I even know that some of these are designed to test and prove my faith (1 Peter 1:7). But, as long as I trust in him, he will not forsake me (Ps 9:10) and I will be with him forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lonely, Troubled, or Afflicted?

  What to do when you are lonely, troubled, or afflicted.  This sounds like David in Psalm 25. Listen to what he says in verses 16 through...